Monday, September 28, 2009

Avenu Malkenu forgive me for the sin.........shopping

We reflect today on the sins that we have committed over the past year. I find that I lead a pretty clean life and that my biggest sin is that I am a shop-a-holic.

There I have said it out loud. My husband will be thrilled to hear that I have admitted it in writing. Something he has told me over and over for many years. (I have confessed many times to my girl friends in jest, but I now know it is true).

I keep rationalizing that I don't smoke, drink, party or even go out (at all), so that my shopping for great bargains is really okay (or that I get an amazing discount at work). That because I am pretty dull otherwise that spending money we don't have counteracts the acts of kindness that I do for others to compensate for the shopping.

So I have turned over my retail credit card (and the other secret laminated card I keep in my wallet), over to the husband. Not permanently, but until I get a better handle on why I have to shop and why I feel so good when I buy something.

But will I be able to stop cold turkey. How will I handle it when the new trucks come in on Monday with those fabulous Free people styles ........ Do they have a seven step program for shopaholics. Will my friends and family be able to handle me while I go through withdrawal. Will last years boots, jeans, blazers and dresses be able to keep me going through this dry period. I better stop now because my brain is already drifting off and thinking about having to wear an old dress to temple today and am forgetting that I am here to confess, repent and change my behavior.

If I can walk 40 miles for breast cancer, maintain my weight within 3 lbs for 30 years, than I can certainly live without new cloths for at least a month. I intend to pay off my card within two months, while selling things on ebay.

Although it is out in the open in writing, I still don't feel any remorse, I have alot of beautiful things .....but I promise to keep thinking about three of us in college, Bruce going in two years and the mortgage payment is still due in three days.

Safe and easy fast........

4 comments:

  1. Heidi I still don't completely understand the blog thing - it is a little annoying but you know I love you soooooooooo much and if it makes you feel good doing it every day then go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi-You are an amazingly talented writer. I guess if you can give up shopping I will have to find a way to give up my food addiction...I will try.

    I do believe that you will find a way to make your current wardrobe new and exciting by mixing and matching. !!! Just think of all the creative ways you can do that.
    I love you girl friend!
    xoxo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete