Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fascination with Makeup


It is a fact that the cosmetic department of retails stores is the driving factor of their daily income. That is the bread and butter of their sales. I mean stores go to many lengths to bring in the women, the makeup consuming women who love to buy the newest colors or the newest trends. What do I mean....about them being the driving factor. The fact is that the cloths and accessories in stores can be discounted, coupon eligible yadda yadda....but cosmetic sales is what it is all about. So they bring in the promotions gift with purchase, cut your hair and cream your face and sing you a song anything to bring you in to purchase more of these products.

What is it with women and cosmetics????????????

Since even before the days of Cleopatra woman have been formulating colors to place on their faces to enhance their features. The pigments that were used back in her days were from berries and all natural products. Then as the years and progress happened, it was about color and how to replicate it, so we brought scientific expertise into the laboratory to make fabulous colors and innovative techniques.

The funny part is that now the trends are back to all natural. We are making cosmetics as well as our foods with berries again. We are back to nature. Why I guess because all these chemicals have polluted the earth and the toxins have all entered our skin..

So back to nature. Does this answer why are women so obsessed with makeup. I don't know. I personally don't get it. My mother wore a little eyeshadow (green) and a little foundation but never really spent time or money on makeup. Hence she past this trait onto all three of her daughters.

Even today her 3 1/2 grandchildren don't seem to carry the obsession with makeup gene.
It does fascinate me and I am sometime envious of the women that work in the cosmetic bays. They either come into work fully made up or they come with their clean skin and put their faces on before the store opens. I just don't understand the layers of first skin care, then foundations then layering of the eye shadow colors and eye liner, eyebrown pencil, mascaras and eye lash curlers.

I know at 50 I should be paying some attention and I do use skin care products. I've been told to hold on to what ever elasticity is left in my skin. I've been told that I have to hydrate my skin because as you age your skin thins out and is left dry. So I buy into that a little bit. I do see the aging process happening to my skin.

But I still don't buy or buy into the entire obsession with makeup and having to be made up. I do admit however that I sneak over to the Nars counter ocassionally and use q tip to put a little shadow on my eyes, maybe a little gloss but no dollars spent on this girls credit card on makeup.

I know many of you are rolling your eyes at me right now so please comment push the little button after the blog entry and tell me your thoughts on makeup.......Raining but going to get my butt outside anyway was home alone for most of the night last night and enjoyed 2 ice cream sundaes.

1 comment:

  1. Laura sent you a message.

    Re: Tried to send a message to the blog, but it wouldn't go through. aargh!

    "Be my guest, add whatever works. It amazes me how much information you are
    able to put into your blog. It is well thought, coherent and timely. I have
    several friends in real estate that have tried them and they lack style and
    substance unlike yours. Congratulations on your upcoming certification. So,
    how has life been treating you? I have many fond memories of times spent at AGD.
    Have a great Sunday. Fondly, Laurie"

    ReplyDelete